- All people who want to call a taxi in Thailand by app
The main taxi apps in Thailand are as follows.
Taxi driver who has traveled to Thailand more than 10 times, introduce the best app for you.
* The information in this article is current as of 2022.
- The best 2 apps in Thailand ⇒ Grab, Bolt
- Function of Taxi apps in Thailand
- Recommended apps in Thailand for each purpose
- Vehicle type in "Thailand (Bangkok)" of each apps
- Taxi apps fees in Thailand
- Available area in "Thailand" of each app
- How to use taxi apps in Thailand
- Q and A about Taxi in Thailand
The best 2 apps in Thailand ⇒ Grab, Bolt
In Thailand, it is recommended to use two apps, Grab and Bolt.
- Use Bolt if you can call it immediately with Bolt
- Otherwise Grab
Please use them according to the situation as above.
Function of Taxi apps in Thailand
|app||Number of taxis||Online Payment||English support||motorbike taxi
Recommended apps in Thailand for each purpose
Vehicle type in "Thailand (Bangkok)" of each apps
*Depending on social conditions, there may be restrictions on vehicle types.
- JustGrab (Automatically select the vehicle that arrives early with Grab Taxi or GrabCar)
- GrabCar (passenger car)
- GrabCar for Ladies (female driver)
- GrabBike (Motorbike taxi)
- GrabCar Premium (Camry, Accord)
- GrabTaxi (meter taxi)
[Vehicle for pets]
- Grabpet (vehicle for pets)
- Grabpet XL (large passenger vehicle for pets)
- GrubSUV (SUV vehicle)
- GrabVan (large van (such as Hiace))
- GrabCar Luxe (luxury sedans such as Benz and BMW)
- Taxi (metered taxi, capacity 4)
- Motor (motorcycle, capacity 1)
- Economy (cheapest vehicle to call, capacity 4)
- Bolt (vehicle that can be called in the shortest time, capacity 4)
- Ladies (female driver, capacity 4)
- Confort (luxury car, capacity 4)
- XL (large vehicle, capacity 6)
Taxi apps fees in Thailand
Prices for taxi apps in Thailand are as follows:
- Bolt is often cheaper than Grab
- Prices will be change by apps and situation
- Metered taxis are often cheaper in Bangkok
- Motorbike taxis are cheaper than 4-wheel taxis
Approximate taxi meter fare and travel time between major praces (in Bangkok)
Starting from Asoke (Sukhumvit)
|Don Mueang Airport||175-||18-35||23.6|
*Calculated assuming that the metered taxi reaches the destination without stopping. Highway tolls, etc. are required separately.
*Prices will be change depending on time of day, road conditions, route, etc. Please think of it as the lowest price.
*Times and distances are based on "Google Maps"
Taxi fare system (in Bangkok)
The general meter taxi fare system in Bangkok is as follows.
|Initial fare||35 baht for 1.0km|
|Additional fare||2 baht for every 360m|
|Fare combined with time and distance||2 baht per minute (Applicable when traveling under 6km/h)|
|Late night/early morning surcharge||none|
|Airport fee||50 Baht (applicable by taking a taxi from the official airport taxi stand)|
|Highway toll||User pays the actual cost|
*Some taxi companies have their own pricing.
Mater taxi fee in BKK in February 2022 (Photo by author)
Available area in "Thailand" of each app
All the apps in this article are available in central Bangkok
Available area in "All Thailand" of each app are as follows.
Grab ⇒ Almost all of Major cities in Thailand
- Chiang Mai
- Chiang Rai
- Hua Hin
- Khon Kaen
- Nakhon Ratchasima (Korat)
- Nakhon Si Thammarat
- Songkhla & Hat Yai
- Surat Thani & Koh Samui
- Ubon Ratchathani
- Udon Thani
Bolt ⇒ Main tourist area
- Chiang Mai
- Pattaya* Not listed on the official website, but available as of 2022/04
How to use taxi apps in Thailand
General usage is maybe almost the same as taxi apps in your country. (like Uber, Lyft)
Big difference are as follows.
- Most drivers can't speak English
- Cash payment is only in local currency (THB)
Below, how to use Grab
Tap below to download Grab for free on the app store
Launch the app
Tap "New to Grab? Sign up!"
Enter your mobile phone number (Mobile), email address (Email), name (Name) ⇒ Tap "Next"
*Information entered here can be changed later.
Enter the 6-digit "code" received by SMS
Tap an icon such as "Car", "Bike", "Transport" on the home screen (the notation differs depending on the area)
Enter "destination information (name, address, etc.)" in "Where to?" and select the destination
Next, adjust the pin on the map to set the place to call a taxi (ride place)
*Initial setting is current location
⇒Tap "Confirm Pick-Up"
Check the location, destination, route, and fee.
⇒ Select a car type and tap "Book GrabCar"
Arranging a taxi
When the dispatch is confirmed, information such as the current location and number of the taxi will be displayed.
Wait for the taxi at the ride position.
When the taxi arrives, make sure the car number is correct before boarding the taxi.
Tell your name to the driver.
⑤Payment(if pay by cash) and get off
If pay by online (pay by app), payment is no need when getting off.
If you select "pay by cash", please pay the fare in cash(THB).
The driver's evaluation (no need to do it soon)
(If you want to give a tip, select the tip amount)
After getting off, a receipt will be sent to your registered email address.
Q and A about Taxi in Thailand
Taxi driver who has traveled to Thailand more than 10 times, answer.
Do Thailandese taxi drivers speak English?
Most drivers can't speak English fluently.
Elderly drivers especially don't talk much.
However, Some drivers know simple words, especially tourist area.
If the driver doesn't speak English, use google translate.
Is there a refusal to ride?
In Thailand, some drivers refuse to ride taxi.
Main refusal reasons are as follows,
- the road is busy
- Where drivers don't want to go
- short distance
- distance too long
- out of gas
- want to go home
The best way to avoid being denied riding is "to use a app".
The people who are waiting taxi on the Sukhumvit road BKK.
Do Thailandese taxis unfairly charge fares?
In Thailand, Too many taxis charge unfairly.
In the case of meter taxis, you will often be charged a higher fare than the meter fare without using the meter.
The following are the main situations in which it is easy to fall victim to a rip-off.
- tourist area
- airports, stations, bus terminals
- entertainment district
- Taxis waiting on the street
- private taxi
- the road is busy
The best way to avoid rip-offs is "to use a app".
What taxis should I avoid?
Green + yellow two-tone taxi, they are self employed. if you have other options, it is safer to avoid them as much as possible.
The reasons are as follows,
- a lot of ripoffs
- Poor service attitude
- rough driving